Warning: ob_start() [ref.outcontrol]: output handler 'ob_gzhandler' conflicts with 'zlib output compression' in /home/denverra/public_html/newforum/header.php on line 583
Comments & Rumors - Powered by XMB
Comments & Rumors
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites  
Author: Subject: Fox-31 reporter and husband host KOA show
Boondocker
Administrator

Mood: Go Tigers! Go Redbirds!

[*] posted on 12-12-2010 at 08:46 AM
Fox-31 reporter and husband host KOA show

A new talk show made its debut from 3 to 6 p.m. Saturday on KOA-AM 850, hosted by a couple of Peter Boyles cronies who specialize in right-wing hot-button issues: Julie Hayden, an "investigative reporter" on KDVR-TV "Fox 31," and her husband of just over a year, attorney and Glendale gadfly Chuck Bonniwell, who publishes a community newspaper.

The show is as yet not listed on the weekend program schedule on KOA's website.

Bonniwell founded the "Glendale Tea Party" in the late '90s, helped start the Glendale Chamber of Commerce, and founded the "Glendale Cherry Creek Chronicle," (CLICK HERE), which features a blog by Boyles. Bonniwell also authored a book, "The History of the Denver Country Club, 1887-2003." But two revealing Westword articles paint a less-than-flattering picture: Click HERE and HERE..

And here's something else, from last year, especially interesting since Bonniwell and Dunafon had co-founded the Glendale Tea Party:

(Click here for original story from KCNC-TV)

Mar 12, 2009 6:00 pm

Glendale 'Whistleblower' Fired
Written by Brian Maass

GLENDALE, Colo. (CBS4) ― Glendale, a city of 4,500 residents between Denver and Arapahoe County, has fired the attorney for the planning commission, a move he claims came as a result of him blowing the whistle on "no bid" contracts being awarded to associates of a powerful council member.

"I'm happy to say I'm a whistleblower," said Chuck Bonniwell, who worked for Glendale for 7 years and was paid $150,000 per year before being terminated at a hastily called city council session Wednesday night.

"I'm proud of the fact I was able to disclose some of the real flawed procedures that are going on in Glendale. When you speak out there will be those who want to retaliate and they certainly have," said Bonniwell, following the meeting. "But that's the risk you take when you want to tell the truth sometimes."

Bonniwell admitted providing information to CBS4 for a special investigation into Glendale contracting practices that airs Thursday at 10 p.m. and Friday at 10 p.m.

His lawyer, Joe Webb, called the timing of the termination -- 24 hours before the airing of the CBS4 report -- "suspicious."

Bonniwell was fired by a secret 4-1 city council vote Wednesday night. One council member abstained. Council member Pat Opper pushed for the secret ballot saying she had "concerns for ... well being and safety' of council members.

While city officials did not provide a specific reason for the termination, indications were they had concerns about Bonniwell's temper and volatility, based on an investigation submitted to the city March 2 by an outside investigator.

According to investigator Robert Gallagher's report, he was asked to look into the issue of a "credible threat" made by Bonniwell toward Glendale Mayor Pro Tem Mike Dunafon. According to the report, Bonniwell had lunch on Jan. 29 with another Glendale city employee Don Brandes. According to Brandes, Bonniwell was angry at Dunafon claiming Dunafon had "lied and deceived" him and the city regarding a city athletic field.

According to the report, Bonniwell said, "he carries a gun and that Mike Dunafon also carries a gun, and that he hates the man (Mike Dunafon). Chuck Bonniwell was adamant that he was going to confront the situation in public and not allow Mike Dunafon to continue in this lie and deceit. These were the only statements made which could be considered a threat," said the report.

But the investigator concludes, "The words spoken by Chuck Bonniwell regarding Mike Dunafon ... do not appear to be an expression of intent by Chuck Bonniwell to inflict injury ... or damage. There was no overt action taken by Chuck Bonniwell to evidence that he intended to take any action to implement the words he had just spoken. Therefore," wrote Gallagher, "it is my opinion that they were just comments, made in the heat of the moment , and do not rise to the level of a credible threat."

The investigator recounts talking to four city workers who said they were "not intimidated" by Bonniwell. But he said another person interviewed said he had "actual fear" of Bonniwell and several people told the investigator Bonniwell was "'controlling, arrogant, foul mouthed, yells and screams ... has a propensity for strange behavior, and they therefore feel intimidated by him."

One employee told the investigator Bonniwell made a comment several years earlier "that he had a dream ... that he went into an office and shot and killed several people." Bonniwell denied having such a dream or telling anyone the story.

Gallagher also wrote that Bonniwell has been seen with a handgun on his desk at work. The investigator concluded that Bonniwell "is creating a hostile work environment."

Bonniwell contends the report masks the real reason he was fired- whistleblowing.

"I indicated when I first made the criticism (of Dunafon and no bid contracts) I thought he would retaliate and I think he has."

The city issued a statement Wednesday night disputing that Bonniwell was fired for being a whistleblower:

"The matters before the city that led to Mr. Bonniwell's termination are set forth in detail in an independent investigative report."

Additional Resources:

CLICK HERE to read a PDF document displaying Glendale's investigation of Chuck Bonniwell.

The last hour of the show on Saturday featured a Hayden/Boyles cause celebre', a man who was cleared in a prostitution sting but still -- allegedly -- has had his truck impounded by the city of Denver (CLICK HERE). The first of several listener calls may have been pre-arranged because Bonniwell let slip that he knew the woman caller had a good attorney. This segment was totally one-sided; the city's side of the story wasn't given to listeners, just as it wasn't a few mornings ago on Boyles' show and in Hayden's report. You'll note that, in a prime example of fairness Fox News style, she lets one line -- "FOX31 News was not able to get hold of the City Attorney handling the case" -- represent the "balance" in her report.
suburban_militia

Mood: Throw the bums out!

[*] posted on 12-12-2010 at 10:11 AM

Aw yes, Glendale, I remember it well, where in the 70's all the neo-proto yuppies congregated in fern-bar nite clubs attempting to come off as cool and confident as they perused the meat markets.
Gladiator
Administrator

Mood: At my signal, unleash hell...

[*] posted on 12-13-2010 at 01:11 AM

I think that "plant" caller was the black woman that Fox-31 did a story on Friday about her impounded car troubles...

----------

Friday noon while talking about the first guy's story, Tom Martino called the Denver DA's office, "A-HOLES", then backtracked it to "jerks"...

This has been a problem Martino has seen for years and can't get anything done about it... The DA's office just doesn't care, loves the power trip from doing it, and just laughs while the city makes big bucks off of the poor slubs that get ensnared in cHickenlooper's secret money machine, slubs that don't have the time or money to fight it in court...

You could lose your car or your house to these bastards and even if you're found innocent, you still have to pay thousands in fees and penalties...

Saturday, Fox had a story of an old guy that couldn't get his heart medicine out pf his "arrested" car because he passed out a Walmart and Walmart had his car towed while he was at the hospital... Nice guys at Walmart...

Butt after the TV camera's show up, a couple of PIGS (Persons In Govern-mental Services) got the meds and then took the old boy (who has heart problems) to McDonalds... Yeah, they looked like they REALLY needed another sack of McDouble chins err... cheese burgers...

-----------

Right leaning???

One caller said he couldn't watch Hayden on Fox 31 because he can't stand their uber-lefty cheerboy Eli Stokels!!!

For DRN news and links goto http://drnnews.blogspot.com
Boondocker
Administrator

[*] posted on 12-13-2010 at 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gladiator
I think that "plant" caller was the black woman that Fox-31 did a story on Friday about her impounded car troubles...

----------

Friday noon while talking about the first guy's story, Tom Martino called the Denver DA's office, "A-HOLES", then backtracked it to "jerks"...

This has been a problem Martino has seen for years and can't get anything done about it... The DA's office just doesn't care, loves the power trip from doing it, and just laughs while the city makes big bucks off of the poor slubs that get ensnared in cHickenlooper's secret money machine, slubs that don't have the time or money to fight it in court...

You could lose your car or your house to these bastards and even if you're found innocent, you still have to pay thousands in fees and penalties...

Saturday, Fox had a story of an old guy that couldn't get his heart medicine out pf his "arrested" car because he passed out a Walmart and Walmart had his car towed while he was at the hospital... Nice guys at Walmart...

Butt after the TV camera's show up, a couple of PIGS (Persons In Govern-mental Services) got the meds and then took the old boy (who has heart problems) to McDonalds... Yeah, they looked like they REALLY needed another sack of McDouble chins err... cheese burgers...

-----------

Right leaning???

One caller said he couldn't watch Hayden on Fox 31 because he can't stand their uber-lefty cheerboy Eli Stokels!!!

Yeah, now that I've watched her "reports," you're probably right about the plant caller.

If indeed the city IS perpetrating this massive injustice, however, a good reporter's job is to actually get somebody from the city attorney's office to say why the law is what it is. But her efforts toward that end have been not even half-hearted. Maybe a tenth-hearted.

And remember I said SHE was right-leaning, not Stokolz or others at KDVR. And heck, to people as far right as the Boyles base, even George Will probably looks like a lefty.
Gladiator
Administrator

[*] posted on 12-13-2010 at 01:27 PM

Hayden said on the Boyles show this morning that the Fox 31 news director wants to feature a story on a different person caught in car limbo every day until this COWTOWN policy is changed...

So with the number of people that have called in so far, figure stories running until late 2012... Then after that, President Palin will be setting everything right...

An alleged comment from a person with the Denver DA's office said it was like O.J. Simpson... If you can't get a person in criminal court, you go after them in civil court... (Funny, KHOW's Craig "former Denver assistant DA" Silverman sez that all the time...)

The problem is that if they nab your weed-carrying brother, who is riding with you in your car going to... to... say, um... church, yeah that's it, "church", and when they take your brother in, your car goes to jail too...

To hell with YOUR 4th Amendment rights... You were caught driving around a dope smoker, you must be guilty too!!! We just don't have any evidence on you and we had to let you go, but we'll keep your car, just in case, and just because we can...

By the time it gets settled in court, in a month or two or three or four, the fees and penalties are in the thousands...

Hey... They kept your care "safe" for you, that's worth something for their valuable time "protecting" your property, capish??? err... "right"???

To add insult to injury, impound lot and other city employees are alleged to "misplace" personal items (up to and including major auto parts), from impound cars...

So what can you do??? It's your word against Johnny Law's...

------

The "love birds" were a little rough running their first radio show...

Doing radio, is NOT just doing TV without the pictures... You have to tell people what you are talking about... And then remember to tell it over and over again over the course of the show as new people come on board...

Hence, our poor Boondocker not knowing the "plant" was planned...

The first hour Saturday they talked about the downer Donkos and Bowlen's corporate welfare...

The second hour had Ed Thomas (former Denver Police / Denver City councilman) on talking about the mayor's race... (I thought he was just a pasty faced Irishman??? Uh... Oh... um... the "election" race...)

And the third hour was on the Denver DA's legalized auto theft ring...

Boondocker
Administrator

[*] posted on 12-13-2010 at 01:42 PM

Well, Boyles is just as bad if not worse at resetting a topic. And I want to SEE and HEAR a city spokesman explain the city's side of this, in his or her own words, not just hear an "alleged comment" second-hand. This is one of those stories, like that of St. Bobby Wallace, where my spidey senses (and 37 years of work in daily-news journalism) tell me there's part of the story we're not being told. If it turns out that this is every bit the injustice as it's being billed, then fine -- give 'em a Pulitzer and let's fix it. But if not ...
Gladiator
Administrator

[*] posted on 12-14-2010 at 01:10 AM

Fox 31 ran this story as their lead story Monday night...

"A lawyer and a judge" have told Hayden this injustice is wrong...

Uh... names please???

And Denver City Councilman Charlie Brown was shocked, and said he had no idea this was going on in the white chocolate city...

The man owes $5000 and the woman owes $4000...

I would now say that Boyles is being used by the Faux 31 news director for story development and caller research... Hayden is the news 'mule' in this news dealer ring... (Why can't they fill their Faux News casts with award winning / heart warming puppy eye-level video like 9 sNEWS does???)

---------

Bleeding heart Boyles cheerleads his listeners that he has KHOW'S Troubled Shouter Tom Martino on board!!!

And Martino acts like he's ashamed that he could never get this fixed and doesn't want to talk about it much...

Boondocker
Administrator

[*] posted on 12-14-2010 at 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gladiator
Fox 31 ran this story as their lead story Monday night...

"A lawyer and a judge" have told Hayden this injustice is wrong...

Uh... names please???

Exactly.

Go To Top